Dentures and Partials
Beverly Hills & Los Angeles, California
Dentures are sets of artificial teeth that are set into plastic frameworks that rest directly on your gums.Partial dentures are best for patients who have several teeth missing and whose teeth are not strong enough to support a dental bridge. Complete dentures are used for our patients who have lost all of their upper and lower teeth. Approximately three to five visits are necessary to obtain gum impressions and fit your dentures properly and comfortably. After you receive your dentures, several additional visits may be necessary so Dr. Sands can make minor adjustments.
If you live in the Beverly Hills, Los Angeles area of California, dentist Dr. Kevin B. Sands will thoroughly assess your case and discuss whether or not dentures are a realistic option for your dental needs. Dentures are prefabricated acrylic that come in many sizes, shapes, and shades to fit your individual needs. They are processed into a custom-made acrylic base that is created to comfortably fit the gum tissue in your mouth.
Though patients differ from case to case, there are generally five appointments necessary to complete the denture process.
- During appointment one, Dr. Sands will perform a complete examination of the jaw, soft tissues, and outside of your mouth. There will be an oral cancer screening and initial impressions will be made.
- During the second appointment, highly accurate impressions will be taken using custom-made impression trays.
- During appointment three, wax rims on plastic bases is used, and the wax is altered to establish the proper bite and orientation of the denture teeth for the laboratory. The shape, size and shade of your teeth are all selected.
- During the fourth appointment, your bite and orientation are checked. Aesthetics of the dentures are evaluated by you and Dr. Sands.
- The lab has now made the final dentures and adjustments are made to the fit and bite. Next, a 24-48 hour follow-up appointment is necessary to check the dentures and adjust any sore spots. Sometimes, a one-week follow-up visited is necessary, also.
Learn more about dentures and partials on our frequently asked questions about dentures page.
If you would like to learn more dentures and partials and you live in the Beverly Hills area of California, please contact our dentures expert, Beverly Hills dentist Dr. Kevin B. Sands, today to schedule your initial dentures and partials consultation.