Porcelain veneers are an excellent way to improve the appearance of aesthetic flaws in your smile such as chips, gaps, overly worn teeth, crooked teeth, or stained teeth. However, because they are so thin (only .5 millimeters thick), many of our patients wonder if porcelain veneers will be durable enough to withstand the forces your teeth must exert while chewing and biting.
The dental porcelain used for your veneers is a very strong and durable material that is highly resistant to chipping, shattering, or staining. Dental porcelain also is not impacted by fluctuations in temperature, further increasing their durability.
The strength of porcelain veneers is largely related to the way they are bonded to your teeth. The bonding material used is very strong, and it is not water soluble or weakened by changes in temperature. When bonded to your teeth, porcelain veneers will actually restore strength and functionality to your teeth. If cared for properly, they can last 15 years or more.
It is important to understand that while porcelain veneers are very durable, they are not indestructible. In order to ensure they last as long as possible, you should take the following steps to care for them:
- Brush and floss regularly to maintain optimal levels of oral hygiene
- Use a less abrasive toothpaste
- Avoid biting on hard objects
- Wear a mouth guard when you sleep if you tend to grind your teeth at night
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption which may wear away the bonding material holding your porcelain veneers onto your teeth
- Visit Dr. Sands every six months for your regular dental checkups and teeth cleanings
Please contact Dr. Kevin Sands today to schedule your porcelain veneers consultation. Dr. Sands serves patients in Beverly Hills and Los Angeles, California.